SPB Group uses DataGalaxy to make data knowledge accessible, build a common language, and map their data
SPB Group designs and manages insurance and assistance offers for everyday products and services, including banking, telecommunication, distribution, mobility, travel, energy, health equipment. SPB group also specializes in the repair, reconditioning, and recycling of electronic products through its subsidiary Save.
Founded in 1965 and present in 16 countries, SPB is a family-owned, independent company that caters to both businesses and individuals.
Visit their website: SPB
Financials: Turnover of €143.3M
Our advice to facilitate Data Knowledge Catalog adoption by businesses is to feed the tool with real-life cases and communicate about the tool via various medias, such as webinars.
Data Governance Manager – SPB Group
SPB Project Background and Strategy
Data is a fundamental asset in SPB’s strategy: Collecting data in real time enables them to monitor the results of insurance products, control risks, and ensure the longevity of contracts while optimizing the profitability of their key account partners.
SPB faced three main challenges before implementing DataGalaxy:
- Capitalize on and make accessible knowledge of data assets
- Harmonize and create a common language among all teams, including business, data, and IT
- Efficient data mapping
SPB was looking for a simple, intuitive tool for business users to:
- Secure knowledge
- Guide users to storage locations
- Protect data according to its sensitivity
- Link data to usages
DataGalaxy caught their attention because of its ease of use for all teams, and their choice was further accelerated by the tool’s simple implementation process. SPB Group was also interested in DataGalaxy’s data lineage tools so they could trace data from source to use.
Implementing the SPB Data Knowledge Catalog
In SPB’s implementation of DataGalaxy’s Data Knowledge Catalog, the group’s data governance team acted as the tool’s administrator, communicating between the business and IT teams to feed the various DataGalaxy modules.
Their next step was to deploy The Data Knowledge Catalog to over 150 SPB business users using the browser extension developed by DataGalaxy. To do this, they focused on user acculturation around the tool by feeding it with concrete cases to encourage increased team use.
Solutions Achieved Using DataGalaxy
- Creation of a common language with the definition of 400 business terms
- RGPD compliance with the identification of 500 sensitive data using a tag
- Complete traceability of data from source to use with data lineage, with over 10 use cases created including reports, dashboards, and more
- Data-driven transformation: Deployment of DataGalaxy to 150 business users
The Benefits of Using DataGalaxy According to SPB
SPB’s Technology Stack